Effia-Nkwanta Investigates ‘Rising From Death’ Story

The Effia-Nkwanta Regional Hospital in Sekondi is investigating a story that a 40-year-old woman rose from death, barely 12 hours after her body was deposited at the hospital’s morgue.

Over the weekend, some media houses and online portals published that on Thursday a 40-year-old woman who was declared dead and sent to the morgue at Effia-Nkwanta Hospital, rose from the death.

It was reported that the mother of four whose name was given as Ophilia, was suffering from diabetic complications and was rushed to the Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital from home on Thursday evening, November 12, 2020.

According to the story, the woman was pronounced dead by the medical officer on duty soon upon arrival at the facility, and her remains were quickly conveyed to the hospital’s morgue.

Meanwhile, the husband, one Robert Donkoh, said on Friday morning when the family visited the morgue at 6:00 am to ensure she was embalmed, they were told that his wife had been sent to the casualty because she had come back to life.

The husband was reported to have said that the mortuary attendant on duty told him that when he (morgue) was going to prepare some bodies for embalmment he saw Ophilia sitting in the midst of the dead bodies

“So they quickly brought a stretcher to convey her back to the casualty ward,” he stated in an interview with a Takoradi- based radio station.

PRO Speaks

However, speaking to DAILY GUIDE in an interview, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Hospital, Christian Baidoo, described the story as not true.

“In fact the administration of the health facility felt disgraced by the story; because it was as if the health workers did not do due diligence.

“We are not happy and could not fathom why those media houses that published the story did not contact us like you have done,” he said.

The PRO told DAILY GUIDE that there was no way a person who had been put in the morgue for 12 hours as the stories stated, could rise up.

“This is because certain internal organs might have been removed before the body would be put in the morgue,” he asserted.

He indicated that the hospital administration would issue an official statement today (Monday) to set the records straight.

By Emmanuel Opoku, Takoradi