High Court Determines Abronye Bail Today

Kwame Baffoe Abronye

 

A High Court will today determine an application for bail filed on behalf of Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC, who has been remanded into the custody of the Bureau of National Intelligence (BNI) over allegations of publication of false news and offensive conduct.

The court was set to hear the application yesterday when Grace Delali Tali, an Assistant State Attorney told the judge that she had been instructed by the Deputy Attorney General, Dr. Justice Srem-Sai, to request for a short adjournment to enable the office of the Attorney General “to appropriately respond to the motion.”

Former Attorney General, Godfred Yeboah Dame, who led Abronye DC’s legal team, said the request for adjournment is completely out of order because the record will show that the Republic, which is in custody of the accused, was served with the application on May 14, 2026, six clear days before yesterday’s proceedings.

“It is not in dispute that the rights and liberties of the accused person are in issue and are deposed to in the affidavit. Even his health is endangered,” he prayed.

Ms. Tali, in response, conceded that the motion was ripe for hearing but indicated that “the nature of the case is such that the Republic has to consult the investigators to familiarise itself with the case and appropriately respond.”

Mr. Dame disagreed, pointing out that this is not a trial for which consultation with investigators would be necessary.

“This is a simple application for bail, the factors are clearly set out in the constitution and Act 30,” he said, adding that the human rights of the accused person ought to be at the centre of issues.

Justice Halima Abdul El-Lawal Abdul-Basit, in a ruling, said in balancing justice and the rights of the accused person, she is obliged to grant the state’s request. She, therefore, gave them up to close of yesterday to file the necessary responses.

Remand

On May 13, 2026, Abronye DC was remanded into the custody of the Bureau of National Intelligence over some alleged offensive conduct and publication of false news.

Court documents allege that Abronye DC, in April 2026, without lawful authority, “uttered certain abusive words” indicating that a judge sitting at the Adenta Circuit Court is “not a judge but rather a politician” who has “covered your hair with a sack and claim you are a judge.”

He was also charged with one count of publication of false news contrary to section 208(1) of the Criminal Code, 1960 (Act 29).

According to court document, the 44-year-old, in a video circulating on social media, made the “political judge” claims, a statement “which is likely to cause fear and panic and disturb the public peace, knowing the statement to be false.”

He pleaded not guilty to the two charges, and the court, presided over by His Honour Joseph Yennuban Kunsong, remanded him for two weeks to reappear on May 27.

His lawyers had prayed the court to grant him bail pending the trial, but this was heavily opposed by the prosecution.

The prosecution’s brief fact presented by Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Emmanuel Nyamekye, allege that in April 2026, Abronye DC falsely published a video online in which he made derogatory remarks to wit, the Circuit Court judge is very bias and always doing political case and that her rulings are wrong and full of grammatical errors, in an attempt to incite members of the public against the court and the said judge.

The brief fact also indicate that Abronye DC mounted furious attacks on the said judge on social media following a foul comment from a pastor on the Vice President, which is under trial at the Adenta Circuit Court presided over by the judge in question.

It further noted that the particular video and others are being pulled and will be sent to the Police Forensic lab for analysis, adding that the case is under investigation.

BY Gibril Abdul Razak