General (rtd.) Thomas Oppong-Peprah
Ghana’s Deputy High Commissioner to Canada and former Chief of the Defence Staff, General (rtd.) Thomas Oppong-Peprah, has denied being under any military investigation and dismissed as “malicious” a New Republic publication linking him to procurement irregularities in the Ghana Armed Forces.
In a statement reacting to the New Republic’s August 20, 2026 edition, Gen. Oppong-Peprah said he had not been “called or notified to face any board of inquiry” over allegations that he was involved in the purchase of armoured vehicles, helicopters and other equipment.
“I was not the Chief of the Defence Staff in 2023 so how did I choose and procure armoured vehicles for the Ghana Armed Forces in 2023?” he asked.
Disputes Role In 2023 Purchases
The former CDS said major acquisitions such as aircraft, ships and armoured vehicles are handled at the Ministry of Defence and General Headquarters level, not by an individual.
He declined to comment on why the Armed Forces opted for BTR armoured vehicles, stating he was not CDS at the time and was not part of the decision-making process.
Gen. Oppong-Peprah however confirmed he saw the vehicles during a visit to the Azerbaijan Defence Industries in Baku. He said he briefed the then-CDS on the deficiencies he observed upon returning to Ghana.
Rejects Land Sale, Vehicle And Helicopter Claims
The retired General also denied allegations that he sold Armed Forces lands, or that he purchased 40 vehicles for the military in 2022.
He further refuted claims of involvement in a 2023 helicopter deal with a European firm.
“You are talking about a helicopter deal in 2023 and yet referring to Gen. Oppong-Peprah when I was not the CDS in 2023. Is this not malicious?” he said, challenging anyone with documentary evidence to make it public.
Addresses Lexus LX 600 Allegation
Responding to reports that a Lexus LX 600 had been reserved for him, Gen. Oppong-Peprah said his 40 years of service, family inheritance and his wife’s overseas employment made such a purchase possible.
“Are they saying we can’t buy a Lexus or build a house of our choice?” he asked. “I say again, if anybody has any evidence of Gen. Oppong-Peprah misappropriating any funds I am throwing the challenge for the person to come out publicly. The false publications will not help them in anyway.”
The Ministry of Defence and the Ghana Armed Forces have not commented on the publication.
A Daily Guide Report
