AG’s Advice On Slain Policewoman Ready

The suspects arrived in court under heavy security

The Attorney General’s Department has presented its advice in the case in which a policewoman was killed in August by some suspected armed robbers in Tamale.

When the case was called in Tamale yesterday, the Magistrate Court presided over by Amadu Seidu revealed that the court received the AG’s advice on Wednesday.

According to him, the details of the AG’s report would be made public at the next adjourned date on October 10.

Six suspects — Anas Issahaku, Zulika Abduallah, Issahaku Yakubu alias Kanbon-Naa, Mahama Nashiru, Samuel Atutiga and Hanan Alhassan alias Gurundoo — are standing trial in connection with the gruesome killing of the female police officer— Sergeant Agatha Nana Nabin— at a checkpoint on the Kumbungu-Tamale road.

They have been charged with conspiracy, murder, possession of firearms without lawful authority and possession of military accoutrement.

Some relatives and friends of the suspects who besieged the court to show solidarity were seen crying while others were shouting on top of their voices on the premises of the court.

Military and police officers took over the entire court premises as people trooped in to witness the proceedings. The suspects were brought in for trial by a heavily armed police team.

At the last adjourned date, the magistrate lamented the delay in getting the advice from the AG’s Department for the case to proceed.

Key Arrests

According to the prosecutor, Issahaku Yakubu was arrested at his residence at Warizeri in Tamale on July 31, and a search in his room revealed AK-47 and G3 live ammunition, spent shells and assorted military uniforms and accoutrement.

Upon interrogation, he mentioned Anas Issahaku and led the police to his residence, where Issahaku and Zulika Abdallah were both arrested.

A search in Issahaku’s residence revealed two locally manufactured guns and military accoutrement and when Abdallah’s room was searched, they found three live AK-47 ammunition, six G3 ammunition, two cartridges and nine pellets.

Whilst the suspects were being escorted in a police vehicle to the police station, Issahaku jumped down from the moving vehicle and was chased and rearrested after a bullet hit his right arm.

He was rushed to the Tamale Teaching Hospital and he later mentioned Mahama Nashiru as the source of his military accoutrement, and he was also subsequently arrested.

Upon intelligence, the police arrested Samuel Atutigah and Hanan Alhassan at Sagnarigu and Teshigu respectively.

During interrogation, Alhassan narrated that on August 2, he returned home from work and was told that his friend (one Naami) had brought some guns to be given to him.

According to the prosecutor, efforts were being made to arrest the said Naami who is currently at large.

FROM Eric Kombat, Tamale