Six more persons have tested positive for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID 19) in the Central Region as at Tuesday, April 21, the Regional Directorate of Ghana Health Service (GHS) has confirmed.
This brings to eight, the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the region, which had only one confirmed case and another from Accra being managed in a facility in the region, before the new cases this week.
Deputy Regional Director in charge of Public Health Dr. Kwabena Sarpong, who stated this, said the patients were contacts of confirmed cases.
The GNA reports that five of the patients, who were not showing any signs and symptoms, are being managed in their respective homes with others receiving treatment at the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital (CCTH).
According to Dr Sarpong, a total of 107 new suspected cases were recorded as at Sunday, April 19, bringing the cumulative suspected cases from routine enhanced surveillance and returnees to 561 and their specimen had been taken to Nugochi for testing.
He said 238 of the specimen had come out negative with 318 samples pending, while 240 persons had completed their 14-day quarantine period.
Dr Sarpong said an additional 178 contacts were being traced making it a total of 783 individuals being traced for specimen collection through enhanced surveillance with the support of security agencies.
He added that 148 returnees were under mandatory quarantine for 14 days in a safe and secured location.