Abronye Freed On GH¢100k Bail

Abronye DC in wife’s hands after bail yesterday

 

The Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC, has been released from the custody of the Bureau of National Intelligence (BNI) following his remand over allegations of publication of false news and offensive conduct.

This followed the grant of a GH¢100,000 bail with two sureties to be justified by a High Court in Accra yesterday.

He was released after he met the bail conditions set by the court.

Abronye DC was remanded into the custody of BNI by a Circuit Court in Accra on May 13 after he was arraigned for some comments he made about a Circuit Court judge sitting at Adenta.

He was expected to return to the trial court on May 27. His lawyers, however, filed an application at the High Court seeking bail pending the trial before the lower court.

His lawyer, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, led by former Attorney General Godfred Yeboah Dame, moved the motion yesterday praying the court to grant him bail pending trial.

Despite previously asking the court for an adjournment to familiarise with the processes filed, Deputy Attorney General, Dr. Justice Srem-Sai, did not oppose the application.

The court, presided over by Justice Halima El-Lawal Abdul-Basit, granted the application and admitted Abronye DC to a bail of GH¢100,000 with two sureties to be justified.

He was ordered to surrender his travelling documents to the registry of the court.

The court said he cannot travel outside the jurisdiction without its permission.

He was further ordered to report to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service once every two weeks.

Meanwhile, the New Patriotic Party says it is going to petition the Chief Justice to remove His Honour Joseph Yennuban Kunsong from the trial, claiming the judge has taken a stance in the case.

Addressing the press after the court proceeding, General Secretary of the party, Justin Kodua Frimpong, said the judge’s handling of the case amounts to a misconduct and, therefore, cannot continue to preside over the trial.

“We are filing a petition to the Chief Justice for Justice [His Honour] Kunsong to be removed from the case because we believe that he has taken a stance in the case and he cannot be a judge in his own case,” he indicated.

Remand

On May 13, 2026, Abronye DC was remanded into the custody of the Bureau of National Intelligence over some alleged offensive conduct and publication of false news.

Court documents allege that Abronye DC, in April 2026, without lawful authority, “uttered certain abusive words” indicating that a judge sitting at the Adenta Circuit Court is “not a judge but rather a politician” who has “covered your hair with a sack and claim you are a judge.”

He was also charged with one count of publication of false news contrary to section 208(1) of the Criminal Code, 1960 (Act 29).

According to court document, the 44-year-old, in a video circulating on social media, made the “political judge” claims, a statement “which is likely to cause fear and panic and disturb the public peace, knowing the statement to be false.”

He pleaded not guilty to the two charges, and the court, presided over by His Honour Joseph Yennuban Kunsong, remanded him for two weeks to reappear on May 27.

His lawyers had prayed the court to grant him bail pending the trial, but this was heavily opposed by the prosecution.

The prosecution’s brief fact, presented by Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Emmanuel Nyamekye, allege that in April 2026, Abronye DC falsely published a video online in which he made derogatory remarks to wit, the Circuit Court judge is very bias and always doing political case and that her rulings are wrong and full of grammatical errors, in an attempt to incite members of the public against the court and the said judge.

The brief fact also indicate that Abronye DC mounted furious attacks on the said judge on social media following a foul comment from a pastor on the Vice President, which is under trial at the Adenta Circuit Court presided over by the judge in question.

It further noted that the particular video and others are being pulled and will be sent to the Police Forensic lab for analysis, adding that the case is under investigation.

BY Gibril Abdul Razak